4 pcs Hilsa fish/ thick pieces
2 tbsp Mustard seeds/ soaked overnight
8 Green chilli
½ cup Coconut/ peeled/ chopped
¼ cup Yoghurt/ beaten
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
20 grams Mustard oil
2 Banana leaves
- Clean the fish and cut it in thick slices and keep it aside.
- Drain the soaked mustard seed and add into the grinder add green chillies and water grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add coconut, turmeric powder, salt and sugar and grind well and make a smooth paste.
- Transfer this paste to a mixing bowl. Add the beaten yoghurt and mustard oil. Mix till the oil is fully incorporated.
- Marinate the fish with the mixture and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut up some banana leaf into rectangular sheets. Gently toast them on a pan set on medium heat. this will ensure that they don’t crack when folded. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take a banana-leaf sheet. Spoon some mustard paste in the centre of the sheet. Set one piece of the fish on it. Top off with some more of the paste and a split green chilli.
- Carefully wrap the fish with the banana leaf making sure that it is fully covered. Tie this parcels banana leaf with a cotton string.
- In a pan add oil once hot, place the banana leave on it side by side.
- Cover and steam the banana-leaf on low heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- Unwrap and serve hot.