1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight /काबुली चने
1 tbsp tea leaves /चाय पत्ती
2 dried red chillies /खड़ी लाल मिर्च
1 inch cinnamon stick / दाल चीनी
1 black cardamom /मोटी इलायची
2 bay leaves /तेज़ पत्ता
For Choley Gravy
3 tbsp ghee / घी
2 tbsp Mustard Oil / सरसो का तेल
1 black cardamom / मोटी इलायची
2 whole red chilli / खड़ी लाल मिर्च
2 bay leaves / तेज पत्ता
1 tsp cumin Seeds / ज़ीरा
1 inch ginger, crushed / अदरक
4-5 cloves garlic, crushed / लहसुन
2 medium onion, finely chopped / प्याज़
½ tsp turmeric powde
1 tsp coriander Powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp caraway seeds
3 green chillies, slit
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, coarsely ground
Ginger julienne, for garnish
Sliced onion, for garnish
Coriander Leaves for garnish
- Add soaked chickpeas in a deep bottomed pan along with enough water to boil the chickpeas.
- Make a potli of tea leaves, dry red chillies, cinnamon stick, cardamom and bay leaves in a muslin cloth
- Add this potli to the pan of boiling chickpeas.
- Once cooked, discard the potli.
- Reserve the boiled chickpea along with its stock.
For Choley Gravy
- In a kadhai, heat ghee and mustard oil on high flame.
- Add black cardamom, whole red chilli, bay leaves and allow to splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and let splutter. Add the ginger garlic to a mortar pestle and crush coarsely.
- Add onions and cook till they turn brown.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and mix well. Add tomatoes and cook till they turn soft and mushy.
- Add green chillies and saute for a minute.
- Now add the cooked chickpeas and cook along with the masala for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in garam masala powder and pomegranate seeds, mix well.
- Use the reserved stock to adjust consistency and stir. Add in more water if required.
- Cook on medium high flame until the gravy thickens.
- Once cooked turn off the flame.
- Garnish with ginger julienne, coriander leaves and serve hot along with kulcha.