200 gms potatoes, boiled
2 tbsp Oil (extra for deep frying)
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
½ tsp Asafoetida
2 sprigs Curry leaves
1 tbsp Ginger & Garlic, crushed
1 tbsp Green chilies, crushed
1 small Onion, sliced
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Besan
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
100 gms cheddar cheese
Dry garlic chutney
Pav / Dinner rolls as accompaniment
Fried green chilies
- Peel the boiled potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan; add Mustard seeds and Cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Add asafoetida, curry leaves, crushed ginger, garlic, chopped green chilies one after another and sauté.
- Add sliced onion and sauté till translucent. Add turmeric powder and salt, mix well.
- Add potatoes to pan and sauté. Add a little water and let it cook for 5 minutes or till all the water evaporates.
- Add chopped coriander and mix well. Remove the mixture from pan and allow it to cool completely.
- Heat oil in deep pan for frying
- In another bowl mix gram flour, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, Carom seeds and water and make thick batter.
- Divide potato mixture into 12 equal portions. Take 1 portion and flatten it on palm, place cheese cube in center, cover it with potato mixture.
- Dip each vada in batter and fry till golden. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Slice each pav into half and spread some dry garlic chutney inside.
- Place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.