Hot Cross Buns
For Yeast Activation
1 tbsp Warm Milk
½ tsp Sugar
1 tbsp Dry Yeast
For the dough
¼ Cup Warm Milk
½ Cup Castor Sugar
¼ Cup Melted Butter
½ tsp Salt
2 Eggs, beaten
¼ tsp Cinnamon Powder
¼ tsp Nutmeg Powder
4 Cups Refined Flour
¼ Cup Raisins
¼ Cup mixed Dried Fruit Peels
¼ Cup Egg Wash
For the Cross
2 tbsp Refined Flour
3 tbsp Water
- For yeast, combine milk (make sure the milk is warm), sugar and yeast. Stir and let it sit for 5-8mins.
- Now for the dough, combine milk, castor sugar, butter, salt and beat well.
- Add eggs and whisk again. Now add cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, refined flour and knead into a soft and smooth dough.
- Butter a bowl and keep the dough in the bowl. Cover the dough with damp cloth and keep in warm place for an hour. It will double to its original size.
- Take the dough out and bash the dough with your hands to let the air out.
- Add dried fruits and knead till everything is incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each into a ball, evenly spacing them out on the tray as you go.
- Cover with the damp cloth and leave in a warm place for a further 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- For the cross, combine flour and water and make a thick paste. Fill the paste in a piping bag.
- Generously apply egg wash on the buns and trace a cross on all the buns.
- Bake them in pre heated oven at 200*c for 20mins or top is nice golden brown.
- Remove from tray and let it cool. Serve these sticky buns with butter.