500 gms Bitter gourd, medium sized, sliced (karela)
1/2 cup Mustard Oil
Salt as required
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1 tsp Fennel Seeds (saunf)
1 tsp Onion Seeds (kalonji)
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (methi dana)
1 tsp Carom Seeds (ajwain)
1 tsp Mustard seeds (rai Dana)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli powder
- Wash the Bitter gourd and spread out on a kitchen towel to dry thoroughly.
- Roughly peel and slice into rounds. Apply salt and leave to let sit for a day.
- To make the pickling spice mix, heat a pan and individually dry roast the fennel, onion and fenugreek seeds. Cool.
- Combine roasted seeds in a grinder and grind to a coarse powder. Add the Turmeric and chilli powder and pulse a few times to mix well.
- The next day in a sterilised clean, dry pickle jar, combine the dried karela with the prepared pickling spice mix. Shake vigorously to mix well. Close lid tightly and keep the bottle in the sun for 2 days.
- After two days, heat mustard oil to smoking point and then let cool.
- Add cooled oil to the pickle bottle and shake well to coat.
- Keep in the sun for another 2-3 days.
AMAZON SHOP Buy utensils, kitchen accessories and appliances used in this video here - https://www.amazon.in/shop/chefranveer