< Back to Recipes
Karonda Mirch ka Achar करोंदा मिर्च का अचारी (Natal Plum and Green Chilies Pickle from Uttar Pradesh)
1 medium jar
250 gms Natal Plum (karonda)
100 gms Green chilli (hari mirch)
1.25 cup Mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
3.5 tbsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
1/4 tsp Nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/2 Tsp Asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp Red Chilli powder (laal mirch powder)
To taste Salt (namak)
- Wash karonda and green chilies well. Spread them out on a kitchen towel to air dry completely.
- Halve the larger karondas. If seeds are white, leave as is, if seeds are brown scoop out and discard as they may be bitter. Leave smaller karondas whole.
- Chop green chilies into medium thick roundels.
- Heat 1/2 cup of mustard oil to a smoking point and then leave to cool down slightly.
- Meanwhile dry roast fennel, fenugreek and mustard seeds individually. Cool and grind to make a coarse powder. Add the crushed spices to the hot mustard oil.
- In a large clean mixing bowl, combine the karonda, green chilies, salt and spice flavoured oil. Mix well. Leave covered overnight.
- The next day add the remaining mustard oil and mix. Transfer to a sterilized, clean dry pickle jar and leave to mature. THe pickle will be ready in a week. Made and stored correctly the pickle will last up to 6 months in the refrigerator.