500 gms Fish (Kingfish, Pomfret or Halwa), cleaned and cut into slices horizontally
12 Green chillies, sliced lengthwise (hari mirch)
2 tbsp Ginger, chopped (adrak)
3 tbsp Garlic, sliced
3 tbsp Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
1 tbsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tbsp Cumin powder (jeera powder).
1 tsp Mustard powder (rai powder)
2 cups Toddy vinegar
½ l Oil for frying fish
- In a little vinegar mixed with water boil the sliced green chillies, garlic and ginger. Keep aside to cool.
- Apply salt and turmeric to the fish and leave for 30 minutes.
- When done, pat dry thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry fish till just slightly crisp.
- Remove and place on kitchen paper to remove drain of excess oil.
- Lower flame and in the same oil add the powdered spices with a little of the vinegar and fry on slow flame till mixture is aromatic, the paste leaves the sides of the vessel and the oil separates.
- Add remaining vinegar sliced chillies, garlic and ginger along with the slices of fish.
- Mix well gently so fish does not break. Take off flame and allow to cool.
- When cool place in a sterilized clean dry glass jar. The pickle will we ready for consumption in 1 – 2 days.
- Store in the refrigerator and use as required. Lasts upto 6 months