< Back to Recipes
Naga Pork Pickle नागा पोर्क अचार (Pork Pickle from Nagaland)
2 jars of 500 grams
1 ½ Kg Pork
50 gms Naga Ginger (or regular ginger)
50 gms Garlic cloves (lehsun)
50 gms Dry Red Chilies (sabut mirch)
4 Naga King Chilli (Naga mirch)
½ cup Vinegar (circa)
Salt to taste (namak)
¼ Cup Oil (tel)
½ Cup Water (paani)
- Clean and cut the pork into medium cubes.
- Bruise and smash the ginger and garlic.
- Reserve 8-10 of the dry red chilies and Naga King Chilli (if using) and grind coarsely.
- In a pressure cooker combine the pork, salt to taste, 2 tbsp vinegar and water. Break the reserved dry chillies and add. Pressure cook for 5-10 mins.
- When the pressure eases, open the cooker. If there is any liquid/stock in the pan, put it back on the flame and cook it off completely. Allow meat to cool.
- When cool, cut the cooked pork chunks into smaller strips or cubes.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the smashed ginger and garlic and fry for 1-2 mins or until starting to get golden and aromatic.
- Add the coarsely ground chilli and fry for a min.
- Add the pork, adjust salt if required and fry on low-medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently until oil separates.
- Add the remaining vinegar, stir well and fry on high pickle on heat for about 5 mins. Take off the heat. Cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Made and stored correctly the pickle should last for upto a month.