250 gms/20 large Red chillies (lal mirch)
½ cup Mustard, powdered (rai dana)
½ cup Fennel Seed, powder (saunf)
⅓ cup Fenugreek Seeds, powdered (methi dana)
⅓ cup Dried Mango Powder (amchur)
2 tbsp Turmeric (haldi)
1 tbsp Asafoetida (hing)
Enough Mustard Oil to cover chillies (sarson ka tel)
Salt to Taste (namak)
- Wash the chillies well. Spread them out to air dry for 1-2 hours. There should be no moisture on them.
- Meanwhile, heat the mustard oil to smoking point and switch of the flame. Coole completely.
- Make the spice mix. Combine the mustad, fennel and fenugreek powders with the turmeric, dry mango powder, asafoetida, and salt and mix well, adding 2-3 tbsp mustard oil to moisten the mixture.
- Prepare the chillies by removing the stalks and making long vertical slits in them lengthwise. Stuff the prepared spice mix into the prepared chilli until they are well stuffed, putting them in a sterilised, clean, dry pickle jar as you go.
- When done, pour the mustard oil onto the stuffed red chillies so that the chillies are completely immersed. Close the jar tightly and place in sunlight for 3 to 4 days.
- The pickle will be ready after 4 days. Made properly and stored correctly, the pickle will last upto a year.