1 dozen Lemon (nimbu)
1 inch piece Ginger (adrak)
2 pods Garlic (lehsun)
2-3 Green chillies (hari mirch)
¾ tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
½ tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tbsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder)
¼ tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida powder (hing)
1/4 cup Vinegar (circa)
Salt to taste (namak)
4 tbsp Sesame oil (til ka tel)
1 tsp Sugar (optional) (cheeni)
- In a small kadai, dry roast 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds. Cool and powder together, Keep aside.
- Wash the lime/ lemons and put them into a steamer. Steam for 5 to 10 min, ensuring the skins do not split. Cool.
- Meanwhile julienne the garlic and ginger and slice chillies lengthwise.
- Cut the cooled lime/lemons into 8 pieces each. Transfer to a clean, dry mixing bowl.
- Add a tbsp of salt in and and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a kadai. When hot add ¼ tsp mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the fenugreek seeds.
- Lower flame to simmer and add the ginger and garlic. Stir Fry till slightly browned.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Lower flame to minimum, Add the chilli powder, turmeric, and asafoetida and mix well, cook, stirring all the time until the raw smell is gone. Let mixture come to a boil and switch off flame.
- Add sugar and mix well. Allow to cool.
- Add the salted lime/lemon chunks and spice powder. Adjust salt if required and mix well.
- Transfer the pickle to a clean dry pickle jar.
AMAZON SHOP Buy utensils, kitchen accessories and appliances used in this video here - https://www.amazon.in/shop/chefranveer