2 tbsp Ghee
2 ½ Cups Makhana/Foxnuts
6-8 Cashew Nuts, halved
1 litre Milk
½ Tsp Cardamom Powder
6-7 tbsp Sugar
Saffron, Few strands
1 tbsp Pistachios, chopped
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add makhana and roast until it absorbs all the ghee.
- Divide the makhana in two parts. Crush half the quantity of makhana and reserve the rest. keep them aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add in cashew nuts and cook for around 4-5 minutes or until it turns golden brown in colour. Remove from flame and keep aside.
- Add the crushed part to the milk, followed by the whole makhana.
- Boil the milk then turn the flame to medium low. Simmer the milk until it reduces to 3/4th of its quantity.
- Keep stirring the milk constantly. When the makhana has turned soft, add sugar, saffron and cardamom powder. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Serve the makhana kheer hot or chilled.