For Chakli Flour
¾ Cup Rice
¼ Cup Yellow Split Peas / Chana Dal
2 tbsp Split Black Gram /Dhuli Urad Dal
15gms Flattened Rice/ Poha
For the dough
1 tbsp Oil + for deep frying
2 tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
1 tbsp Thai red chili sauce
3-4 Kaffir Lime Leaves, shredded
1 tbsp Sesame seeds
Salt to taste
- Dry roast the chakli flour ingredients individually. While roasting they should release nice aroma.
- Combine all the ingredients. When it has completely cooled down give it to a flour mill and make very fine flour of it. (Alternatively you can grind it to a fine powder in a grinder and then sieve it. But you won’t get the same results).
- Measure the prepared flour and take equal quantity of water (Suppose the flour is 1 cup then water should also be 1 cup).
- Keep water for boiling. Add oil, red curry paste, red chili sauce, sesame seeds and salt. When water comes to a boil add chakli flour and mix briskly in one direction. Cover and steam for 1-2 mins.
- When the mixture has cooled moderately, start kneading it. Add water if required. Knead into soft dough. Keep covered with a damp cloth.
- Put a portion of dough in the chakli mould and pipe the chaklis on a paper. Cut it with scissor when desired size is achieved. R
- Form in batches. (if spirals are not being formed that means dough has less moisture, add some water and knead well).
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the chaklis till golden brown. Remove and drain off excess oil.
- Store in air tight containers.