1½ cup sabut urad dal (whole black gram), soaked
½ cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
4- 4 ½ cups water (to pressure cook)
Salt to taste
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 inch ginger
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
2-3 green chillies, coarsely ground
3 medium onions, sliced
¼ turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Add urad dal, chana dal, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ginger, garlic and bay leaf to a pressure cooker. Cover and lentils turn soft (4-5 whistles)
- Meanwhile, heat ghee and oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chillies, saute till fragrant.
- Add onions and saute till they turn golden. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and saute till the ghee begins to separate.
- Open the pressure cooker, mash the lentils a little with the back of a spoon/spatula.
- Transfer dal into prepared tadka along with chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander sprig and serve hot.
Note: Soak Urad dal overnight.