< Back to Recipes
Banarasi Amle ka Achar बनारसी आम का अचार (Indian Gooseberry Pickle from Benaras)
1 large jar
For the Pickle Spice Blend
4 tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tsp Fennel seeds (Saunf)
For the Pickle
1 cup small Indian Gooseberry or about 14 large ones (amla)
1/2 cup Raw mustard oil (sarson ka tel)/ or other cooking oil
2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
2 pinches Asafoetida (hing)
4 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder (kashmiri mirch powder)
2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tsp salt (add as required)
- Wash the Amlas well and air dry completely on a kitchen towel.
- When dr, steam for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- If using small amlas, leave whole. If using large amlas, open up segments and remove the stones.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pickle spice blend. Heat a pan on a low flame and dry roast the mustard, fenugreek and fennel seeds individually until they darken and get aromatic. Do not burn. Cool and transfer to a grinder. Blend to a fine powder and keep aside.
- To make the pickle, heat the mustard oil in a pan. Once hot, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and allow to splutter, do not burn. Take pan off the flame.
- Add the steamed amlas. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes or until the amlas absorb the flavoured oil a little. Add the chilli and turmeric powders, salt pickle spice blend and mix well. The pickle can be eaten immediately but flavours develop over time. Will last upto a month in the refrigerator.