Matar Ka Nimona is an old lost recipe from the North. It is widely consumed in Uttar Pradesh during winter as it is made with seasonal green peas.
This dish can be made all year long with frozen green peas but wouldn’t have the same taste as the fresh green peas would give.
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 green chillies
5-6 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger
2 tbsp mustard oil/ oil
3-4 medium potatoes, cut in cubes and fried
500 grams green peas, blanched
½ tsp asafoetida
½ tsp amchur powder
1-2 dry red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
1½ cup water
- Add fresh coriander seeds, green chillies, garlic and ginger to a blender along with some water and blend to a smooth paste. Set aside till in use.
- Divide the green peas in two portions, blend ¾ th green peas to a coarse paste without adding any water. Keep the other half aside till in use.
- Heat 1 tbsp of mustard oil in a pan till smoking point, add the coarsely blended green peas and roast on medium flame for 4-5 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Note: The peas should not burn while roasting, keep stirring continuously.
- Once the peas paste is roasted, remove and set aside till in use.
- Heat 1 tbsp mustard oil add asafoetida, amchur powder, red chillies, cumin seeds and fresh coriander seeds paste. Roast well till fragrant. Upto- 2-3 minutes.
- Add the green peas, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add ½ cup water, mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and garam masala, mix well. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the roasted green peas mixture, mix well. Add fried potatoes and mix well. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cover and cook till the water comes to a boil on high flame. (2-3 minute)
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Excellent taste delicious recipes