Methi ke Theple मेथी के थेपले
Every mother carried along with her the legacy, culture and memories of food. In this episode of Maa ki Baat, Chef Ranveer Brar takes us on a journey of the Gujarati food which is a staple in every houselhold- thepla. Learn how to make the dish and enjoy this conversation with another home chef.
1 cup fresh fenugreek leaves (methi), chopped
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp oil
5-6 vatwani red chilli, slit
5-6 fresh green chilli, slit
1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp asafoetida
Salt to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp oil
- Add salt to the chopped fenugreek leaves and wash them. Set aside till in use.
- Add whole wheat flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, asafoetida and oil to a bowl along with fenugreek leaves. Mix well.
- Add water as required and knead a soft dough. Add some more oil and knead again till the oil is absorbed.
- Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- To prepare the pickle, add red chilli, green chilli, yellow mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, lemon juice and oil in a bowl. Mix well and set aside till in use.
- Divide the prepared thepla dough into equal portions, shape into lemon sized balls and roll into thin round discs.
- Roast on a tawa while basting with oil on both sides till it turns golden brown and spots begin to appear.
- Serve hot with the prepared pickle.