700 gm carrots
15-20 green chillies
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp dry mango powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds, crushed
1 pinch asafoetida
½ cup mustard oil
- Wash the carrots and green chillies well, spread out on a kitchen towel and dry them completely. Peel and cut into batons, about the size of a finger.
- In a large, clean, dry mixing bowl, combine the crushed mustard seeds, red chilli powder, salt, dry mango powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds and asafoetida and mix well.
- In a small pan, heat the mustard oil. When hot, pour over the spice mixture and mix well.
- Add the carrot batons and mix till thoroughly coated in spice mix. Transfer to an airtight jar.
- Keep pickle jar at room temperature for 3-4 days. Mixing daily. After 3 days the carrot pickle should be ready to eat. Refrigerate and use as required.
- Made and stored properly the pickle will last from 3-5 months in the refrigerator