For Dough (pie crust):
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour/ maida
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp fine salt
½ cup or 8 tbsps cold butter, diced
2-3 tbsps of cold water
4-5 nos or approx. 600gms Apples, washed, cored and cut into ¼“ slices.
½ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on the pie
1 tbsp butter
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your fingers (you can use a food or), rub the butter into the dry ingredients until it gets a crumbly texture. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of cold water over the mixture.
- 2. Lightly knead the dough until it is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if necessary add little bit of more cold water). To help ensure a flaky crust, do not over-keand or over-.
- 3. Transfer half of dough onto a piece of plastic wrap. Roll out into a disk ¾ inch thick and wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. Remove and roll the dough further and line it onto a pie dish. Do not trim at this point. Roll the other half of the dough for the cover in the same manner and chill again.
- 4. Now in a large bowl mix together apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour.
- 5. Remove the dough lined pie dish from the fridge and fill with apple mixture, gently packing apples and adding little extra filling in the center. Gently drizzle a little butter.
- 6. Lightly brush rim of pie base with water. Take the second rolled dough sheet and carefully lay it over apples and press along moistened rim to seal. Using a paring knife, trim the excess dough.
- 7. Using your thumb and index finger, gently press dough against knuckle of other hand; continue around pie. If using a fluted pie dish, press against the curves to give it a shape. With a floured paring knife, cut 5 to 6 slits in the top layer of pie. Do not cut from edge to edge.
- 8. Place pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees C for 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden and the filling starts to bubble. Cool completely, at least 6 hours, before serving.
AMAZON SHOP Buy utensils, kitchen accessories and appliances used in this video here - https://www.amazon.in/shop/chefranveer