For Sautéing Rava
1 ½ tbsp ghee / घी
1 cups/ 165 gms bombay rava/ sooji / रवा
3 tbsp oil (any refined oil) / तेल
1 tsp mustard Seeds / राई
1 tbsp gota urad/ whole polished urad / गोटा उरद दाल
1 tbsp chana dal/ bengal gram / चना दाल
8 no cashew nuts, cut into half / काजू
1 tbsp ginger, chopped / अदरक
1 medium onion, chopped / प्याज़
1 medium fresh green chilli, chopped / हरी मिर्च
12-15 no curry leaves / कड़ी पत्ता
3 ½ cups water / पानी
Salt to taste / नमक स्वाद अनुसार
¼ tsp sugar / चीनी
1 wedge of lime / निम्बू
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves with it’s tender stems, chopped / धनिया
1 tbsp ghee / घी
- Heat ghee in kadhai and heat. Add rava and saute for 2-3 minutes on low flame. Stir continuously while stirring so that every grain of rava should coat with a ghee evenly. Remove from the flame and keep aside for later use.
- For Upma, heat oil in a same kadhai and splutter mustard seeds, followed by chana dal, gota urad and cashew nuts. Saute until they turn light brown.
- Now add ginger and cook for a minute until ginger releases its raw smell.
- Add onion, green chilli and curry leaves and saute until onion turn translucence.
- Add in water, salt, sugar and allow it to boil. When it starts boiling allow it it to boil for a 2 minute. In this way all the flavors will infuse in water.
- Now at this stage add in prepared rava. Stir continuously while cooking to avoid any lumps.
- When almost all the water is absorbs reduce the flame (make sure it must have porridgey consistency) and cover with the lid for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle lime juice, coriander leaves and ghee. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.