200 g chicken, boiled and shredded
1 cup green coriander leaves
2-3 green chillies
1 tsp ginger, roughly cut
3-4 cloves garlic
salt to taste
½ tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Oil
For Litti & Aloo Mash
2 cups wholewheat flour (atta)
2 tbsp. Ghee
½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
½ tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup yoghurt, lightly whisked
Oil for frying
250 g potatoes, boiled and mashed
2 tbsp mustard oil
1-2 dry red chilies, sliced
1 onion, large, sliced
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
½ tsp. turmeric powder
½ tsp. cumin powder
½ tsp mango powder (amchur)
For the stuffing
- place the coriander, green chillies, ginger, garlic, salt and lemon juice in a blender and
grind into a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the paste and fry for a minute.
Add the shredded chicken and fry for a little bit longer. Check the seasoning and adjust as
- Make sure the mixture is completely dry.
Remove from heat and keep aside to cool down.
For the litti
- sieve the flour into a bowl.
Add the ghee, carom seeds, baking soda and salt to this.
- Add the yoghurt into the mixture and knead into a soft dough. Add some warm water, if required.
- Cover the dough with cling film and keep it aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Once ready, shape the dough into medium size individual portions.
- Use your fingers to expand each piece into a circle, 2-3’ in diameter.
Place 2 tsp of the stuffing in it, wrap up the dough piece around it, close from all sides and flatten it a bit. Repeat with the other portions.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan; fry the littis, a few at a time, till golden brown. Remove and drain the excess oil on absorbent kitchen towel.
- For the mash, heat the mustard oil in a pan. Add the red chillies and let it release its flavour into the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till golden brown.
- Add the spice powders and cook for a minute more.
- Add the potato mash to this and mix well.
- Check for seasoning and adjust as required.
Serve hot along with the littis.