For the Spice Stuffing
1 cup Yellow split mustard seeds (rai kuria)
1 tbsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp Asafetida (hing)
3 tsp Chili powder (lal mirch powder)
2 tbsp salt (namak)
2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tbsp lemon juice (nimbu ras)
2 cups + 2 tbsp oil (tel)
- Wash gunda berries well and spread out on a kitchen towel to air dry completely.
- Heat 2 cups oil and let it cool to the room temperature.
- When dry, cut the gunda on one side and scrape the seeds out with a salted knife. The salt helps cut through the gummy insides of the gunda berry. When done put in a bowl with a little salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Meanwhile combine mustard seeds, turmeric, asafetida chili, salt fenugreek, lemon juice and t tbsp oil. Mix well. Stuff the cavities of the prepared gunda berries with prepared spice mixture, filling in a sterilised, clean dry air tight pickle jar as you go.
- When done pour the oil over the stuffed gundas ensuring they are completely immersed in the oil.
- The pickle will be ready to serve in about a week and will last upto a year.