Baby Corn Chilly By Dhivyaprakash N
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 25-30 mins
Serving Size: 4-5
Baby corns 250 gm
Water for boiling
Corn starch 3 tbsp
Refined flour(Maida) 3 tbsp
Salt for taste
Black pepper (as required)
Oil for frying
Chilli Gravy or Sauce Oil 2 tbsp
Spring onion bulb 1/4th cup or Onions 2 vertically sliced
Garlic 3 tbsp (chopped)
Ginger 1 tbsp (chopped)
Green chillies 4-5 nos. (slit) or chopped for more spiciness
Dried Red Chilli 2-3
Green capsicum 1 medium size (diced)
Soy sauce 1 tbsp
Red chilly sauce 2 tbsp
Vinegar 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Black pepper 1 tsp
Sugar 1-2 tsp
Water 100 ml
Cornstarch 1 tbsp + water 1 tbsp
Spring onion greens 1 tbsp
Method for Fried Baby Corn:
• Slice the baby corn from the centre in two halves, further cut them in two, so totally 4 pieces from one baby corn. If the baby corn is still bigger u can cut that also into half which totally is into 8 pieces
• In boiling water add salt to taste and cook them for 3-4 minutes.
• Cool down for 5 minutes and add corn starch, refined flour, salt to taste and black pepper powder, mix and add 2-3 tbsp water so the flour coats the baby corn well.
• Heat oil for frying, fry on medium flame until light golden brown. Remove from frying and rest it for 5-10 minutes, refry them on high flame until crisp and golden brown.
Method for Chilli Gravy:
• In a bigger pan or wok, heat oil and add Spring bulb or Onions vertically sliced, garlic and ginger and saute for a minute on high flame.
• Add green chillies and green capsicum and saute again on high flame for a minute. • Add the sauces, salt, white pepper and sugar, saute for a minute on a high flame.
• Add water to adjust the consistency of the sauce, bring it to a boil.
• Add the corn starch and water mixture and cook until the sauce thickens.
• Add the crispy fried baby corn to the sauce, give it a nice stir, add spring onion greens and stir again.
• Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and roughly broken dried red chilly if required. Serve hot which is really spicy and amazing in taste
Special notes/Tips: You can add a bit more salt to the Baby Corn Mixture because it enhances the taste in the gravy which gives the real spiciness You can fry the Baby corn to its crunchiness as they taste really well with the sauce or gravy Sugar gives the mild sweetness and caramelizes the onion which gives a great texture