Skip to content
Barnyard Millet Navratra Pudding by Natasha Karan Nanda
- 1 litre Full Cream milk
- 1/4 cup Jaggery
- 1/3 cup Barnyard Millet/sama ke chawal (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup Apples, chopped (skin peeled)
- 15 to 20 makhanas
- 1 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tbsp Walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp Almonds, chopped (soaked and peeled)
- 2 tbsp Pistachios, chopped
- In a thick bottom saucepan, pour full cream milk. Bring it to boil on a low to medium heat.
- Then add samak ke chawal and stir very well. Cook the mixture on a low flame till the samak chawal gets cooked for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Keep stirring the mixture at intervals so that the milk or the samak chawal do not get scorched from the base.
- Add jaggery, apple, and cinnamon powder and cook it again for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame, stirring constantly.
- Meanwhile take half cup of milk in a pan and heat it over medium heat. Add makhanas and cook it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Once this mixture comes to room temperature, blend it coarsely.
- Now, add this makhana mixture into the samak rice pudding mixture and again cook it for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly or till the mixture thickens slightly. Turn off the flame.
- Cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into separate ramekins and garnish with chopped walnuts, almonds and pistachios.
- Cover the ramekins with cling film. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve chilled.