Baked gujiya with almond flour and whole wheat flour filled with coconut by Mousumi Sarma
Preparation Time: 30-45 mins
Cooking Time: 25mins-1/2 an hour
Serving Size: 8-10 pieces depending on the size
For the outer shell
1 cup refined almond flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon oil
Milk or half and half for kneading
Add pinch of saffron with the dough for flavor
For the filling
1 and a 1/2 cup grated coconut( fresh or frozen) if it is frozen, thaw it in the microwave for 2-5 mins
Brown sugar less than 1/2 cup( depending on how much sweet you want)
Cardamom or elaichi 2-3 grounded
Pinch of saffron
Grounded nuts( kaju or almond)
Raisins 2-3 teaspoons
1 table spoon of milk
- For the outer shell- Preheat the oven at 380F.
- In a big mixing bowl mix all the ingredients mentioned above and make a dough.
- Cover it and let it rest for at least 15 mins. In the meantime, prepare the filling. Take a pan on the stove on medium to law flame.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above for filling.
- Cook it until it becomes like a dough. It takes 1/2 an hour if it is on medium flame. For the shell, divide the dough according to desired portions. I made 8 portions. Make balls and roll it. If needed take little bit of oil( if it sticks).
- Make round shapes( not too thin or not too thick). Put some coconut filling on the roti and fold it in haves. It will crack on the sizes but that is ok. Press the sizes gently and with a small knife cut the uneven sides. Then with a fork, give some design on the edges.
- Now, it is ready to go into the preheated oven. Take a baking tray with a parchment paper or butter paper. Spay some canola oil. Now put the uncooked gujiyas on the tray and spray light canola oil on each gujiyas. Then put it in the oven.
- Bake it for 13-15 mins( until it is golden brown) then flip all the gujiyas . Again bake it for another 13-15 mins(until it turns golden brown). Enjoy the fresh crispy warm gujiyas.
Special notes/Tips: For the coconut filling, sweetened condensed milk can be used with coconut but for a healthier version, I used milk.