1 tbsp oil
¾ tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp roasted cumin powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1½ cup potatoes, boiled
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp Coriander fresh
Salt to taste
1 cup besan
Salt to taste
1 tsp red chili powder
1 cup soda water
1 tsp turmeric powder
Oil for deep frying
For Vada Pav
½ cup mint chutney
½ cup jaggery tamarind chutney
Fried green chillies
For the Vada
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds, saute till fragrant.
- Add ginger, garlic and onions. Saute till fragrant and till onions turn translucent.
- Add coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well and roast for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and mash them, cook for 3-4 minutes. Add salt, mix well and remove from heat.
- Add coriander leaves and lime juice. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions. Shape into round balls.
- Rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes
For the Batter
- Add gram flour, turmeric powder, salt & chilli powder to a bowl and mix well.
- Add soda and mix well to form a batter, make sure no lumps are formed.
- Heat oil in a kadhai.
- Coat the prepared potato balls evenly in the prepared gram flour batter.
- Deep-fry the prepared vadas until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on absorbent paper and set aside till in use.
- Slice the pavs from centre, apply both the chutneys and butter.
- Place the prepared vada, in between the pavs.
- Serve hot with fried chilli.