Prep: 40 minsCook: 30 mins Servings: 8-10 modaks
For the filling
2 tbsp Water
¾ Cup Gud/Jaggery, grated
1 Cup Fresh Coconut, grated
1 tsp Cardamom powder
2 tbsp Ghee
2 tbsp Cashew nuts, chopped
For the Dough
1 Cup Water
1 tsp Ghee
Salt, a pinch
1 Cup Rice Flour
- Heat a pan on medium flame. Add water and jaggery, let it melt completely.
- Add coconut and cook for 10-15 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add cardamom powder, ghee and cashew nuts and cook for few minutes. Keep the mixture little bit moist. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- For the dough, heat one cup water. Add salt and ghee to the water.
- When the water comes to boil, add rice flour and with a spoon mix quickly in one direction.
- The mixture will be lumpy. Cover and let it steam for 1 minute. Switch off the flame.
- Remove the mixture and start kneading when it is hot, don’t let it cool down. Knead well ensuring there are no lumps.
- Divide the dough in 8-10 equal portions. Roll each into a smooth ball.
- Stuff the prepared ball into the modak mould, make a cavity in the center and stuff it with the prepared filling.
- Take a small part of the prepared dough and seal the modak.
- De-mould the prepared modak, repeat process for all the dough balls.
- Lay a banana leaf on the steamer plate and place the prepared modaks on it.
- Steam for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.