For Thandai Masala
6-8 Cashew nuts
1 tbsp Melon Seeds
1 tsp Poppy seeds
1 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Peppercorn
2 Cardamom pods, shell removed
Few Strands of Saffron
1 litre Full Fat Milk
½ Cup Sugar
½ Cup Cream
2 tbsp Mixed Nuts, chopped
For Thandai Paste-
- Soak almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, melon seeds, poppy seeds and fennel seeds in warm water for 2-3 hours.
- Put the soaked mixture in a blender (remove skin of almond if wished), add peppercorn, cardamom, saffron and blend till very fine and smooth paste. Set aside.
- Start boiling milk in a heavy bottom pot. Once boiled, lower the flame and keep on simmer.
- Stir constantly so as it does not stick to the bottom.
- Add the thandai paste and mix well. Scrap the sides and keep stirring till it reduces to the half of its original quantity.
- Add sugar and cook for 2-3 mins. Switch off the flame.
- Add cream and mix well. Let the mixture come to room temperature.
- Pour in mixture in kulfi moulds or in matkas to make make matka kulfi. Keep in freezer to set overnight.
- To get kulfi out of the mould, rub with your palms, it will get loose and slide out. Garnish with nuts and serve.