1/2 kg Garbanzo beans (Chole)
250 gms Raw mango, diced (kairi)
1½ tbsp chili powder (la mirch powder)
2 tbsp Yellow split mustard seeds (rai kuria)
2 tbsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
3 tbsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2-3 dried red chili, broken
½ tbsp Asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp Nigella seeds (kalonji)
6 tbsp Mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
2 tbsp salt or to taste (namak)
- Soak Garbanzo beans overnight in water. The next morning rinse them well in running water, 2-3 times. Drain well and spread out on a kitchen cloth to dry thoroughly.
- Combine the Mango and salt and mix well. Spread out in the sun to dry out.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the Mustard, fennel, Fenugreek and red chilli individually. Cool and coarsely grind them together. Add the turmeric and chilli powders and pulse a few times to mix well.
- When mangoes and chickpeas are dried out, heat the oil to smoking point in a kadhai or big wok. Then switch off flame. put off the gas. Add the spice mix, to the oil along with the dried chickpeas & mangoes and mix them well till chickpeas & mangoes are thoroughly coated with the spice mix.
- Transfer the pickle to a clean sterilized dry jar. Top with a little more smoked oil if required. The mixture should be completely immersed in oil. Keep the pickle in the sun to develop for 2 days. The pickle should be ready in 2 weeks.
AMAZON SHOP Buy utensils, kitchen accessories and appliances used in this video here - https://www.amazon.in/shop/chefranveer