North Indian Tahri with Kanji
4 Carrots, cut into 1 inch long strips
1 Beetroot, cut into roundles
2 tbsp Yellow Split Mustard Seeds
1 tbsp Black Salt
5 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 Black Cardamoms
4 Green Cardamoms
1 inch-Cinnamon stick
4 Green Chillies, slit
¼ cup Carrots, diced
¼ cup French beans, chopped
¼ cup Green Peas
¼ cup Cauliflower florets
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 cup Long Grain Rice, soaked
1 tsp Rose Syrup
2 tbsp Pine Water
½ cup Yogurt
Chopped Coriander leaves for garnish
- In a mud pot, add carrots, beetroot, yellow split mustard seeds, black salt and 4 litres of water, mix well.
- Cover the pot with muslin cloth and keep it in the sunlight for 4-5 days.
- While keeping it for fermentation, keep stirring it with a wooden spoon.
- Once ready to drink,store in a cool place.
- Soak rice for 15-20 minutes
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds, black cardamom, green cardamom ,cinnamon stick and green chillies, let it splutter.
- Add all the vegetables, red chili powder and salt,mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add soaked rice, 1 cup water and 1 cup yogurt. Close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles.
- Once cooked, open the lid, add kewra water and rose syrup.
- Gently stir the rice with the help of a spread knife or the extra steam to pass away.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with with raita and kanji.