Monji Achar (Kohlrabi pickle form Kashmir)
Prep: 10 minutesCook: 5 minutes Servings: 1 medium jar
6 medium Kohlrabi with greens
2 tbsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
1 tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
4 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder (lal mirch)
1 ½ cups Mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
3 tsp Salt (namak)
¼ tsp Asafetida (hing)
- Wash the Kohlrabi along with the greens. Pat dry and separate the greens from the bulbs.
- Spread out to air dry thoroughly on a kitchen towel.
- When dry cut bulbs into halves. wrap greens in a fresh paper towel and store them inside the vegetable compartment, until needed.
- Peel and cut the kohlrabi into slices or cubes. Spread on a paper towel or a kitchen cloth and leave in the sun for a few hours, to dry out their moisture. They are ready when their edges look slightly shriveled.
- Combine the mustard seeds and ajwain in a spice grinder and grind coarsely,
- In a large clean dry mixing bowl, combine this spice mix, salt asafoetida. Mix well. Add the oil and mix well.
Add the kohlrabi and greens and mix really well.
- Transfer the pickel to a sterilised, clean dry jar. Pressing kohlrabi down to allow the oil to rise to the top.
- Cover tightly and leave in the sun for a few days for flavours to develop. The pickle will be ready in 3-4 days. Store in the refrigerator to maintain the crunchiness.