Lentil Idli with Cucumber Chutney
Prep: 15 minsCook: 10 mins Servings: 2
To be soaked
- ½ cup uraddaal(split black gram daal)
- ½ cup Moong Daal
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup white rice ( use parboiled rice)
- ¼ cup toordaal
- ¼ cup chanadaal
- 2 tsp methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds)
To be added later:
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 dried red chili
- handful of methi leaves(fresh fenugreek leaves)
- salt to taste
- Soak all the to be soaked items overnight (12 hours)
- Drain the water and grind the soaked lentils/grains along with ginger, dried red chili, washed fenugreek leaves and salt(1/2 teaspoon or more) with little water if needed.
- If this mixture doesnt look fermented enough, add 1/4 tsp baking powder, or keep for another 4-6 hours in a warm place.
- Grease Idli stand and mix and pour the batter.
- Steam the idlis for 20-25 mins and let stand for another 10 before removing from idli stand.
- 1 medium sized round cucumber
- 4 green chilies slit
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Handful coriander leaves (chopped finely)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp. mustard
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ red chili broken
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp. urad dal (optional)
- ½ tsp. channadal(optional)
- Pinch of hing
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Wash cucumber and peel off the skin
- Cut it to 2 large pieces. Remove the seeds and discard.
- Fry green chilies in oil for 1 to 2 min. Cool them.
- Grind green chilies, cumin, salt, turmeric, garlic, and handful of the chopped cucumber pieces. Keep the rest of the cucumber pieces aside.
- Add the blended mix with the rest of the cucumber pieces, add salt chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the same pan with oil, add all the tempering ingredients and fry till the dals turn golden.
- Add this to the chutney, check salt and tang. if needed you can add lemon