Kolhapuri Muttonache Lonche (Goat meat Pickle from Maharashtra)
½ kg Mutton boneless
2 tbsp Sesame (til)
2 tbsp Poppy seed (khus khus)
1 tbsp Ginger, grated (adrak)
1 tbsp Garlic, crushed (lehsun)
3-4 green chillies
1 cup Oil
3 tbsp Chili powder (lal Mirch)
1 tbsp Kolhapuri masala
2 tbsp Lime juice (nimbu ka ras)
2 tbsp Vinegar (circa)
Salt to taste (namak)
- Wash the mutton well. Spread on a tray to dry out. Use kitchen paper to blot as much moisture out as possible.
- Marinate mutton with salt, ginger, garlic and chillies for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook the mutton for 20 minutes or until cooked. Open the cooker. If there is liquid left in the cooker, put back on flame cook till dried out.
- Meanwhile in another pan, dry roast sesame and khus khus over low flame until crisp and light brown. Dry grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the mutton pieces for a while, add the sesame and poppy powder, chilli powder, kolhapuri masala and vinegar, stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Take off the flame and add the lime juice and mix well. Cool and transfer to a sterilised, clean dry glass pickle jar. The pickle is ready to eat but gets better after 1 day. THe pickle should last upto 3 weeks in the refrigerator.