Kerala Style Coconut Rice
For Paste (Mortar Pestle)
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Fennel seeds
2 tbsp coconut oil
15-18 Shallots, sliced
1 -inch Cinnamon Stick
2 Green Cardamoms
1 Cup Fresh Coconut, grated
2 ½ Cups Coconut Milk
Salt to taste
2 Cups Rice, rinsed & drained
- For paste combine coriander powder, turmeric powder, fennel seeds and a tbsp of water in a mortar pestle and grind to a paste. Keep aside.
- For rice, heat coconut oil in a large pot, add shallots and saute till translucent.
- Add whole spices and fry for a minute till fragrant, on medium flame.
- Now stir in coconut and saute for a minute. Add in prepared paste and fry for 4-5 mins while stirring constantly.
- Lower the flame and pour in coconut milk along with 3 cups water, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and again bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook till all the water is absorbed.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.