Karonda Mirch ka Achar (Natal Plum and Green Chilies Pickle from Uttar Pradesh)
250 gms Natal Plum (karonda)
100 gms Green chilli (hari mirch)
1.25 cup Mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
3.5 tbsp Fennel seeds (saunf)
2 tsp Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
2 tsp Mustard seeds (rai dana)
1/4 tsp Nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/2 Tsp Asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp Red Chilli powder (laal mirch powder)
To taste Salt (namak)
- Wash karonda and green chilies well. Spread them out on a kitchen towel to air dry completely.
- Halve the larger karondas. If seeds are white, leave as is, if seeds are brown scoop out and discard as they may be bitter. Leave smaller karondas whole.
- Chop green chilies into medium thick roundels.
- Heat 1/2 cup of mustard oil to a smoking point and then leave to cool down slightly.
- Meanwhile dry roast fennel, fenugreek and mustard seeds individually. Cool and grind to make a coarse powder. Add the crushed spices to the hot mustard oil.
- In a large clean mixing bowl, combine the karonda, green chilies, salt and spice flavoured oil. Mix well. Leave covered overnight.
- The next day add the remaining mustard oil and mix. Transfer to a sterilized, clean dry pickle jar and leave to mature. THe pickle will be ready in a week. Made and stored correctly the pickle will last up to 6 months in the refrigerator.