Kala Vatana Amti
2 Cups Water
Salt, to taste
1 Cup Dry Black Peas, soaked in water overnight
For Masala Paste
2 tsp Oil
2 tsp Black Peppercorns
2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
2 Medium Onion, sliced
1 Cup Fresh Coconut, grated
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
2 Kokum Petals
Salt, to taste
1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- For peas, pour 2 cups water in pressure cooker and add salt, mix. Add soaked peas and cover with lid. Cook for 3-4 whistles, turn off the flame and keep aside.
- Once the pressure goes off, drain the pea stock and reserve. keep aside.
- For masala paste, heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices and saute till fragrant.
- Now add in the onion and saute for few minutes till they turn translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute. Add in the grated coconut and saute on low flame till it turns golden brown in colour and is nice aromatic.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down. In a grinder add ¼ cup of boiled peas. Now using water, wet grind along with roasted masala into fine paste. Keep aside.
- Now for amti, heat oil in a pot. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add onion and saute till golden brown on medium flame. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and saute till fragrant.
- Add cooked peas and saute for few minutes.
- Now add reserved pea stock, kokum, salt and mix well. Let it come a boil and put on simmer.
- Add in the prepared masala paste along with garam masala and mix well. Cook for 5mins on medium flame or till it is nice and thick.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or pooris.