Hyderabadi Mirchi Ka Salan
1 tbsp Oil
1 Medium Onion, sliced
½ Cup Unsweetened Desiccated Coconut
¼ Cup Peanuts, roasted
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds, roasted
2-3 Garlic Cloves
1 tsp Ginger, chopped
Oil, for frying
4 Green Chillies (less hot variety), slit
1 tbsp Oil
½ tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
½ tsp Nigella Seeds
7-8 Curry Leaves
1 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and saute till translucent.
- Add coconut and saute till coconut is golden brown in colour.
- Add peanuts, sesame seeds, garlic cloves, ginger and saute for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool down. Add little water and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat oil for frying and fry the chilies till golden patches are visible. Take the chilies out on absorbent paper and drain off the excess oil. Keep aside.
- For gravy, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, nigella seeds, curry leaves and stir fry till they splutter.
- Add prepared paste and saute for a minute. Add 2 Cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Put on simmer and add tamarind pulp, salt and mix well.
- Add fried chilies and simmer for 2mins more.
- Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander. Serve hot.