1 cup Chana Dal, soaked for ½ hour
½ tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Ghee
½ tsp Cumin seeds
1 Onion, chopped
1 Green chilli, chopped
1 tsp Red chilli powder
½ tsp Garam masala powder
Fresh Coriander, for garnish
½ cup Onions, chopped for garnish
1 ½ cups Refined flour
Salt to taste
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp Ghee, warm
Oil for frying
- Pressure cook the dal by adding turmeric powder, salt and 1 ¾ cups of water. Cook for 2 whistles and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick kadhai and add in cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Now add in the onions and green chillies and fry them till nice light golden brown in colour.
- Add in red chilli powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Pour in the cooked dal and mix everything together. Check for seasonings and consistency. If very thick then add little water and let it cook for 5-6 minutes more.
- Now for the pakwan, add refined flour, salt, cumin seeds and ghee in a bowl and mix well.
- Add water as required and make firm dough. Rest the dough for 10 minutes and then divide it equally into 8-9 portions.
- Roll out each portion into 1 cm thick sheet and poke it using a fork.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry it on medium heat on both the sides until they turn nice crisp and golden brown in colour.
- Remove on an absorbent paper to drain off the excess oil.
- Before serving, reheat the dal and garnish with chopped onions and fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot along with the crispy pakwans.