8 hrs 30-40 mins
Prep: 8 hrsCook: 30-40 mins Servings: 2
- Whole black gram (sabuturad) 1/2 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) 2 tablespoons- Wash and soak urad dal &rajma overnight, drain
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Ginger chopped 2 inch pieces
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Garlic chopped 6 cloves
- Onion chopped 1 large
- Green chillies slit 2
- Tomatoes 2 medium- blended to paste
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Boil sabuturad and rajma in three cups of water with salt and half the red chilli powder and half the ginger. Cook for three whistles in a pressure cooker or until the rajma is completely soft.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add ginger, garlic and onion and sauté till golden brown.
- Add slit green chillies, tomatoes pureeand sauté on high heat. Add the remaining red chilli powder and sauté till the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma along with the cooking liquour. Add some water if the mixture is too thick. Add garam masala powder and adjust salt.
- Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended.
- Serve hot. Garnish with a swirl of cream and sprigs of fresh coriander.