1 cup Toor Dal, soaked
1/3 cup Yellow Moong Dal, soaked
2 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Green chillies, slices
1 cup Onions, chopped
1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Kashmiri Red chilli powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
For the tadka
1 tbsp Ghee
2 Dry red chillies
3-4 Garlic cloves, slices
¼ tsp Red chilli powder
½ tsp Asafoetida
Fresh Coriander leaves, for garnish
- Add the soaked toor dal and moong dal to a pressure cooker and add four cups of water to it. The ratio of dal to water should always be 1:4. Pressure cook it and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai and add cumin seeds to it. Fry till it turns a shade darker and add green chillies and onion to it. Cook the onions till they turn nice brown in colour.
- Add in the tomatoes and mix.
- Add in salt, turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix everything well and cover with a lid.
- Let it cook for 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes get soft and cooked.
- Now pour in the cooked dal and mix well.
- Let it cook for 15-20 minutes and then remove off the flame.
- To make the tadka, add ghee to the tadka pan and heat it.
- Add in dry red chili and garlic slices and fry it for half a minute.
- Add red chilli powder and asafoetida and mix.
- Remove off the flame and add it to the prepared dal. Mix well
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot along with jeera rice.