Preparation time 20 mins
Cooking time 45-50 mins
¾ cup grain sugar
150 ml sunflower oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
150gms or about 3 medium grated carrot
100 gms raisins
Grated zest of 1orange
1 ½ cups Refined flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
¼ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
200 gms cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract or essence
For the frosting:
- In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, leaving no lumps. Add the powdered sugar and beat on low speed till smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract. Refrigerate until use.
- Preheat the oven to 170 deg C. Line two 8-inch round baking pans with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs to a mixer and beat till well mixed.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold the flour mix into the egg mixture. Do not mix too vigorously, just enough to combine. Add the raisins and carrots.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pans and bake for 40- 45 minutes, or until they are firm and springy when pressed it in the center.
- Remove and let the cakes cool completely on a wire rack.
- To assemble, slice the cakes into ½ inch thick slices and arrange on the serving dish, alternating each layer with cream cheese frosting. Serve with candied carrot slices.