8 hours 30 mins
Prep: 8 hoursCook: 15-20 mins
- 1 cup barley (jau) ,washed, rinsed, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)- washed, rinsed, soaked
- ¼ cup tur dal (pigeon peas spilt) washed, rinsed, soaked
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds when the seeds crackle, add the asafetida, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame.
- Add the green chilllies and sauté on a medium flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the barley, yellow moong dal, tur dal, salt and 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the pressure cooker to cool down then open the lid.
- Serve immediately.